Wednesday, November 27, 2013

30 Days of Thanksgiving ~ Terri Lytle

I am thankful for the steadfast love of my husband. Sometimes, it overwhelms me like the bold scent of pine at Christmas; other times it sneaks up on me like the scent of morning dew after a long night, reviving me. Before we even met, as a new Christian, I prayed for a godly man, a spiritual leader. I believed God had answered at the start but during the early years of our marriage battled disbelief on and off. I thought maybe I had made a mistake and chose the wrong man, mostly for fleshly reasons. Satan began to use this to build a case against our union with his fiery darts. I remember blurting out my feelings mingled with tears to an older, wiser friend who had time and ears to hear. Her eyes didn’t widen with surprise; instead, she empathized with me. She patiently listened and then pointed me to Christ and prayed for me. Over time God helped me to recognize Satan’s strategy and fight back knowing that he was no match for Jesus. God showed me that feelings, although important, are not on what true love is based. Realizing that God is using our marriage for His sanctification purposes helps me trust in Christ who is constant instead of my feelings which seem to ebb and flow like ocean tides. All the while, my husband already has this steadfast, unwavering love for me. He has that kind of love for God too, demonstrated during the suffering we experienced this year. He never faltered in his faith, his Rock was Christ, and he clung to Him like a nimble mountain climber with secure footholds and finger grips. For this, I am eternally grateful and still learning from his example.

No comments: