Sunday, November 3, 2013

30 Days of Thanksgiving ~Kelley Burgess

I am thankful for birds. True confession: I am a nerd for birds. I go on birdwatching trips and I carry spare binoculars in my car. I have 5 bird feeders and a bird bath that I watch from my kitchen table. I have been known to have poor eye contact with family and friends around the table if there's action at the feeders. Birdwatching is a spiritual experience for me. When I see a painted bunting I praise God for the supreme Artist that He is. When my resident barn swallows show up in the spring I praise God for the seasons and the events that display His faithfulness. When I see sparrows I am reminded of God's love and care, since not even the death of a sparrow escapes His notice. Do you know that we are commanded to be bird watchers?! In Matthew 6:26 Jesus says, "Look at the birds of the air..." (and then the best part) "they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?"

No comments: