Tuesday, November 12, 2013

30 Days of Thanksgiving ~ Mary Magnuson

Some of you know that I run. Before I had children, I began running for physical fitness. I got a dog, and I decided to run because walking just took too long. My dog became one of my running buddies. I also worked out with a teacher friend for many years until we moved to Texas. When I had children, they became my partners; I crazily pushed them in the stroller (or I ran on the treadmill when they were napping).

My philosophy of working out has changed over the year. I am grateful for just moving and fitting something into most days even if it is just a run around the block. Distance used to be important to me, but I stopped letting that get in the way. Speed became less significant too. Now what is important is finding time whether with my children or alone, in which I can relieve some stress, appreciate my physical abilities, pray to our Lord, to appreciate nature, to reflect on life and to be an example to my children.

Once my children, John and Anna, were old enough, they accompanied me on their bikes or on their skates. Through these times, the Lord has tested my patience. I couldn’t worry about going fast if I had to help one of them turn a corner with his or her bicycle. I sometimes held their hands while they skated. This also meant that speed couldn’t be put in front of my desire to go faster. I had to SLOW down. Often I am the type of person who wants to hurry things up. The Lord showed me that I should enjoy these moments.

I truly treasure the times of exercising with my children, the conversations, the leaf collecting, the reflecting on God’s beauty, and the memories. Sometimes we may even take a trip to the library if we don’t take out too many books. Other times we recite memory work as a way to make up for the time spent outside away from schooling. I know that instilling a habit of exercising is essential for my children. I am thankful that the Lord has allowed us to share these moments.

I also appreciate our current dog, Pepper, who truly was a gift from God. My one requirement for our next dog was that she could run with me. Well, not only did the Lord bless Anna with a dog for Christmas as she had prayed, but He also granted my desire. If I am not seen running with John and Anna, then I will more than likely be running with Pepper. The Lord has a funny sense of humor giving Anna dog for Christmas almost two years ago when I wanted her to get one for her birthday in April. I wanted to control the timing of getting a new dog, but the Lord knows what is best. For that I am grateful. Pepper brings much joy to our whole family.

Finally, I am thankful for my truly giving husband, Brian. Although he doesn’t feel well often, he constantly gives of himself and tries his best in spite of his poor health. I am blessed as Brain ALWAYS says!

No comments: