Monday, November 25, 2013

30 Days of Thanksgiving~ Linda Armstrong

I am thankful for God's command to us (through the Apostle Paul) ...  [to] 'be thankful in every circumstance'.    I confess that I've often thought of this command as a last resort to gain a right attitude toward my troubles and forget it (this command) when there is a lull in 'noticeable' difficulties  {trouble is always at the door waiting to pounce on ignorance). 
 
From one of my devotional readings this morning, I received this---"And you will seek ME and find ME, when you search for ME with your whole heart."  I was convicted that my seeking was only half- (at best) hearted.  There was no wholeness to me...therefore my attempts to 'be thankful' rose to our all-knowing God as insincere and legalistic!  I repented  of my selfishly-prompted 'thankfulness' (even our repentance is generated by God into our divided hearts by His grace).
 
From my other devotional I read:  'Thankfulness opens your heart to MY Presence and your mind to MY thoughts --enabling you to see from MY perspective.'  My repentance of un-wholesome motives in approaching our God, opened my heart to His closeness and my mind to think rightly about the 'dilemmas' I was currently fretting over!  I actually saw these from a totally new angle.  Jesus' control over my circumstance (facing what I call major decisions on my own) reminded me I am NOT Alone and gave me an 'opened heart to His Presence'; and His equal control over my thoughts  (which tumbled round and round in my head) brought me to 'see things from His perspective' [--my thoughts are NOT His thoughts] on these troubles..

I praise Him (am thankful) that He will continue to convict, convince and control me.  

No comments: