Thursday, November 14, 2013

30 Days of Thanksgiving ~ Ivy Minich

It hit me like a ton of bricks several years ago when Marcus said that if he "could think of one word to describe his mother it would be SELFLESS".  I decided then that I needed to attune my ear more closely to the things that the said and did!  And in the years since I have grown truly thankful for my mother in law and the example of selflessness that she is to me.
 
She has had many dramatic and varied life experiences, not the least of which is being a single mother to 4 little boys- one of which was disabled.  The stories are always heart-wrenching and surprising.  going hungry?  in America?  really??  But a repeat theme in them all is how the Lord called her to live selflessly- laying down her own life, desires, physical well-being, safety, reputation, pride and even things that I would call basic necessities so that she could humbly live out the grace of the gospel within the life circumstances that God gave her.  That is what biblical selflessness is: laying aside ones self so that the ways of God and His plans are what reign in your life.  Like Moses, when he left Egypt to suffer with the people of God.  Like Mary, when she said "I am the bondslave of the Lord, let it be to me according to your word."  And like Christ, when he laid aside so much in heaven to come to earth and live a humble life to secure for himself a bride.
 
And I so very much get to see this with my mother in law as she accepts things from the hand of the Lord with a heart of peace and the ever present thought of "my life is not my own".  And now while she perseveres again in being selfless as she raises the 4 little girls they have adopted- 2 of which are disabled, I am encouraged to LET THE LORD REIGN as I go about my small life.  As the Lord teaches me to be a selfless servant and love my husband and my children, I can do so without fear!  I do not belong to myself; I belong to my loving King.  And I am so thankful for that!

No comments: