Thursday, November 7, 2013

30 Days of Thanksgiving ~ Rebekah Lovelace

A Tradition of Thanksgiving
 
Some of you know I come from a family of 6 children... Thanksgiving has always been a fun time together as a family... I remember watching Cheaper by the Dozen when it came out and telling Michael that my family was not noisy like that... he was very sweet to just smile. Soon after, we had a family get together and yes, we were that noisy, but honestly I wouldn't change that for a minute! ;) 
 
My Uncle and Aunt and cousin have traveled to celebrate Thanksgiving with us most years, and often we have had other individuals or families join us. I am very thankful for my mother, who instilled in us the importance of hospitality and serving others- inviting others to come together for fellowship over a meal. Oftentimes growing up we would have church family, missionaries or other friends join us for a meal or stay. Fellowship is such a beautiful gift that the Lord has given to us as believers. My family benefited so much from those times and it is my desire to pass that on to my own children. 
 
One of the traditions at Thanksgiving that has always brought a sweet time of reflection and discussion is that my parents would print off Scripture verses of praise. Then they would place one at each place setting. At some point in the meal we would each read our verse then share what we were thankful for. It is something we haven't done in a few years, but I am hopeful that we will begin it again... Especially as grandchildren are now old enough to also join in on this special tradition. :) Time together is wonderful, but bringing the Lord into the midst of our conversations really is a blessing and deepens the relationships that we have with one another. I wanted to share this as I thought maybe you might consider doing something similar. :)
 
May the Lord richly bless you this Thanksgiving season!
 
Revelation 7:9-12 says, "After this I looked, and behold, a great multitude that no one could number, from every nation, from all tribes and peoples and languages, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed in white robes, with palm branches in their hands, and crying out with a loud voice, 'Salvation belongs to our God who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb!'  And all the angels were standing around the throne and around the elders and the four living creatures, and they fell on their faces before the throne and worshiped God, saying, 'Amen! Blessing and glory and wisdom and thanksgiving and honor and power and might be to our God forever and ever! Amen.'"
 
Love in Christ, Rebekah Lovelace

No comments: