Wednesday, July 30, 2014

VBS: Day 4 ~ Hannah Page

I've never really understood the name “Vacation Bible School.” School and Vacation at the same time?  That doesn't even make sense to me.  Another thing, Vacation Bible School is not really a vacation for me.  Volunteering at VBS is something that you have to be mentally prepared for  beforehand.  This year's VBS was especially eye-opening to me.
 
This year I had volunteered to be part of the skits.  I was super excited, we had all worked extra hard on the scripts, and then my Mom told me had also been placed in crafts.  What?!?!?!?  I had never been very crafty, and I was positive that I was either going to break something or do the craft completely wrong.  Crafts was totally out of my comfort zone, but after the first day, I realized that crafts was going to be a really good experience for me.

One of the major blessings from this year's VBS was being able to see so many of the kids I'd watched grow up come and take part in VBS.  I really loved their enthusiasm and their openness. Everyone was super fun to be with and talk to.  From the 4 and 5 year olds to the 4th and 5th graders, these kids' love for God was obvious through their actions and words, but remember, you are the ones influencing them.  Whether you help out with VBS, babysit, or just talk to them you are influencing them.  So take that time to help them become closer to Jesus!  They will grow up remembering what they have learned from you, and then they will share with others.

For some people, VBS is just a time-filler, or something their neighbor invited them to, but I have always seen it as a way to get to know the kids that are part of my church family and to minister to kids who have never heard the Gospel.

No comments: