Wednesday, July 23, 2014

VBS: Day 3 ~ Jennifer Kiser


Jennifer Kiser has been leading the music for Vacation Bible School at Redeemer for a number of years. This year, she selected the music as well. In seeking a song that would convey the overarching theme, Jennifer chose “Your Grace is Enough.”
So remember Your people
Remember Your children
Remember Your promise
Oh God

Your grace is enough
Your grace is enough
Your grace is enough for me.
 
“That’s what everything in the Bible is about anyway,” she explained. “I wanted songs that are upbeat, appealing and fun for the kids to sing.”  Since Jennifer likes hymns "All Creatures of Our God and King" and “Great is Your Faithfulness” are also among her musical selections. This year, Vacation Bible School focuses on the story of Esther. “God’s faithfulness is throughout the Esther story,” Jennifer says. “He is faithful to those who worship Him.”
 
Great is Thy faithfulness! Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see.
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided.
Great is thy faithfulness, Lord unto me.
 
Jennifer also wanted to teach the children contemporary praise songs that they will be likely to hear somewhere else in the future. So she also chose “Blessed Be Your Name" because it has the contrast Jennifer wanted to share with the children. Sure, we praise God when things go well, but we also praise him when we struggle in the wilderness.  “Even then my heart will choose to praise God,” she said.
 
Blessed be Your name
In the land that is plentiful
Where Your streams of abundance flow
Blessed be Your name
Blessed by Your name
When I’m found in the desert place
Though I walk through the wilderness
Blessed be Your name.
 
Music is an important part of Vacation Bible School. “I’ve done it before; it’s a lot of fun,” Jennifer said. “It’s a lot of work, and I’m tired at the end. Every year I do it, I’m glad I did. It’s rewarding to see kids singing about Jesus. In the future, when they face tough times, the song may come to mind and encourage them."

No comments: